Saturday, January 22, 2011

Progress and What I don't Know

It's been about a week since I last posted. It's Sunday evening and I have spent most 80% of my weekend working on papers for a web-based class. I did manage to knit and weave a little. I also attended my 2 hour photography class on Saturday. It's amazing how little I know about taking pictures. I have gone from the point and shoot picture taker, to a DSLR photographer. There are sooo many "icons" on my camera that does not equate to "AF and shoot"!

Well, my progress on my FLS is slow but steady. If I have not mentioned before, I am a slow knitter. Now, with that said, you should read the entire set of directions before knitting. Maybe read them a couple of times! I have looked at other knitter project notes on Ravelry along with the changes in the design. For me, I want less bell in my sleeves and not as much bulk under the arms. To me, that meant not adding "7" stitches on either side when separating for the sleeves. I cast on "5" stitches and proceeded. When I got to the lace pattern, I discovered that those 7 stitches was part of the "lace pattern repeat"! I decided not to frog any more rows. I have tinked and frogged enough since I started. So, the 5 stitches that I cast on will now be a "garter band" from the armpit down. This is MY design element for the FLS. I am not sure of how it will turn out, but I will continue and finish this sweater. It may be for me or not. Here is a pic of my progress.

IMG_1482 IMG_1481

Oh! Almost forgot to tell you "what I don't know". I have discovered that I don't know how to "fix" garter stitches. I was actually correcting them as if they were knit stitches which was not right on the opposite side. Then I tried to correct them as if they were purl stitches and that was wrong as well! Thanks to whom ever started You Tube. I watched a video on correcting garter stitches. I guess you alternate a knit and a purl to correct garter stitch. I now know how to fix "dropped or incorrect" garter stitches. Who knew a simple stitch could cause so much grief. I will let you in on a little secret. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. Under one arm there is a couple of incorrect corrected garter stitch! Just so you know, I am leaving it!!!!!

Still not quite finished the woven pink and green runner. I work a little every day, even if it is just 2 or three picks. BTW, I ordered a Cricket Loom last week. It is due to arrive tomorrow, 1/24/11 via my FAVORITE UPS man. I expect it around 5-6 p.m. I will use my Cricket for small projects like scarfs and mug mats. I purchased the new weaving DVD by Jane Patrick. She goes through several design techniques that I should be able to do on my Cricket. I plan to do a sampler cloth.

Well, tomorrow is work day, 0245 wake up. I must say, work is taking up a lot of my crafting time. I have a few pressing projects at work that is taking up a lot of my spare time. In a week or so, I should be back to enjoying my crafts.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment