Sunday, December 11, 2011

In Just 14 Days

Is anyone else having problems getting in the holiday spirit? Or is it just me. This is my favorite time of year, however, I can't seem to get into the spirit. I have my holiday music blasting in my car and at work hoping it will get me there. I took my tree out of storage yesterday, but it still remains in the bag today. I did muster up the strength to put out my "Snowman" flag and hand my holiday wreath on the front door. In just 14 days, Christmas will be here. Will I be ready. No I am not depressed, but just not in the spirit at this time.

Projects I am working on:

Sushi at Christmas
Sushi at Christmas

Jovial Fabric Bowl
Jovial Fabric Bowl

If you need a quick gift, do I have a link for you. A must see tutorials by Jenni of the MSQCo - Christmas Tree Skirt from 2 Charm packs. Take a look!

Something I would like to focus on, FMQ Challenge 2012. I hope to improve FMQ'ing so that I can quilt the tops that I piece. I want to be able to take what design is in my head to my finger tips, and end up on a quilt top that I pieced. Then I can say, I made that quilt from start to finish. Once I can accomplish that, then the next step is design!

I am planning to organize my time, stash and my work spaces. I would love to be able to finish more quilts. Right now I am in the "top" phase. I would like to be in the running with those who complete from start to finish.

Check out these book raves: Quilters Academy Vol. 1 & 2, by Harriet Hargrave and Carrie Hargrave, Posh Pocket Tips for Quilters, Posh Pocket Tips for Knitters. I am finding them very informative.

Last but not least, I have finished 75% of the "Thermis" neck warmer for my sister. It's time to start thinking of buttons. It should be completed by the weekend.

Podcast #9 was uploaded.

Until next time


4 comments:

  1. Hi AJ. I'm not in the Christmas spirit either. It's hard when your kids are grown. We threw our tree away last year, as it was getting shabby and decided to buy a small tree. That is proving to be very difficult. There are 2 kinds of small trees - ones designed to go outside, and artsy ones (white, "twig", etc.) Nothing all that realistic looking.

    I joined the free motion challenge too. Quilting the quilt is always the most difficult part for me. I need to practice! Hopefully, this will encourage that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind comment. I'm not in the holiday mood either. It's tough this year but things are getting back to normal. I just may decorate those boxes! I'm hoping to hide them somewhere if I don't make them festive! Back to knitting my dad's last sock for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AJ. I really enjoy your podcast. You are a welcome contributer to the quiltpod scene ( is that a word?) I love your sushi strip quilt. Did you know that you can use the isosceles triangle die from accuquilt to make those? I learned that when trying to get it to work for a table topper, but alas it was too small. I think it makes a 6 inch triangle.
    I hope you have a Merry Christmas. It is really hard unless you have little children/ grandchildren I think. I have learned that through myself and the hundreds of psychiatric patients I have worked with over the past 30 years. I think we want to feel the way we did as a lot of years ago, so of course it misses the mark.(especially at nearly 63!)
    It seems also that people who are strongly affiliated with a church community can get Christmas spirit. Sometimes we can grasp a few minutes of forced gaity at a party or event which stays with us. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the season and have a great New Year.May you have one blessing after another,
    Cathie in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your sushi quilt. It looks great. By the way, I cracked up at the photo of your sister's dressmaker sewing machine. You really were desperate to sew, weren't you?

    ReplyDelete